MatchBox Consulting Group is seeking a Senior Environmental Geochemist for our client – a Vancouver-based international senior gold producer. Over the past 15+ years, our client has grown to operate three gold mines with numerous development and exploration projects in the works around the world in unique locations such as Mali, Columbia, and Finland.
Reporting to the Environmental and Permitting Manager and supporting the corporate Sustainability team, this individual will leverage their practical experience in the design and implementation of geochemical characterization studies to support environmental approvals, operational support rehabilitation and closure studies, as well as mentoring operational field staff. In addition to a proven technical background and exceptional practical experience, the ideal candidate will be a proactive self-starter who can work independently as well as in a team environment.
This role is based out of our client’s Vancouver office in a hybrid model with frequent domestic and international travels required (~ 30% of the time) which may be in short notice.
If you’ve been looking for a leadership role with a renowned producer whose pipeline of work and growth opportunities will keep you challenged and engaged for years to come, don’t let this post pass you by!
- Lead the design and implementation of environmental geochemical characterization studies of mine materials (including tailings, waste rock, construction and borrow/cut materials) at each operation to support feasibility studies, environmental approvals, operational technical support, rehabilitation and closure;
- Engage with site management and specialist geochemical consulting services, in the development of scopes of work, schedules and budgets and management and administration of such work;
- Ensure the geochemical risks of project facilities have been appropriately assessed and mitigating measures appropriately implemented in a practical and cost-effective manner;
- Assist operations with managing static and kinetic geochemical laboratory programs, and processing and interpreting laboratory data;
- Ensure Mine Closure Plans include comprehensive assessment of geochemical risks and provide sufficiently practical mitigating measures;
- Analysis of large geochemical datasets, including quality control, data interpretation and reporting, and critical assessment of consultant reports and recommendations;
- Develop practical mineral waste and AMD management plans and management solutions for each operation;
- Perform geochemical modelling to support data interpretation and predict geochemical outcomes;
- Assist with mine groundwater and surface water quality assessments, and other environmental geochemical-related investigations;
- Conduct environmental fieldwork and be involved in the collection of rock, soil and water samples;
- Produce high quality technical reports, presentations, etc., which effectively communicate detailed geochemical information to management, including non-specialists;
- Provide oversight and guidance to corporate and operational employees in functions related to geochemical studies;
- Research and communicate key emerging information and trends relating to global mine materials geochemical management practices, as needed.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in relevant field of study, such as Geology, Geochemistry or related subjects;
- Minimum seven years of working experience in geochemical characterization of mine wastes, mineral waste management and water quality assessments;
- Field work experience including drilling supervision and geological logging, test pit logging and sampling (soils, water, geological samples);
- Experience in the design and implementation of field and laboratory investigations to support geochemical assessments.
- Experience in managing static and kinetic geochemical laboratory programs, and processing and interpreting laboratory data;
- Willingness to travel for project work (domestic/international and possibly to remote locations);
- Experience using geochemical modeling software packages such as PHREEQC, MINTEQ and Geochemist`s Workbench;
- Proficiency in Microsoft office applications including Word and PowerPoint, with specific expertise in the use of Microsoft Excel;
- Proven ability to work independently and generate, implement and complete multiple work assignments in a dynamic environment;
- Previous experience of geological 3D modelling software (Leapfrog, Vulcan) or dynamic probabilistic software (GoldSim);
- Proficiency with ArcGIS;
- Relevant professional registrations or memberships;
- Ability to work under pressure with a high level of commitment to meeting deadlines and producing high quality work;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment;
- Language fluency in English including the ability to prepare high quality technical reports and deliver public presentations;
- Ability to be proactive, professional and thrive in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- French language ability considered an asset.
Headquartered in downtown Vancouver and serving clients nationally, MatchBox is one of the leading recruitment and solutions firms that specializes in the fields of IT & Technology, Engineering & Technical, Real Estate & Construction, and Accounting & Finance. We offer unrivaled expertise with our team's extensive experience in the recruitment and professional services industry. We are dedicated to building great connections and creating strong opportunities within the workforce and the labor market.
MatchBox is committed to providing equal opportunities for all applicants. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds, including members of minority groups such as racialized individuals, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+ individuals, and Indigenous peoples. It is a priority for us that all candidates are treated fairly and without discrimination. Our recruitment teams receive ongoing training on using objective criteria for evaluating candidates and other related topics to create an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
Please note that we require all interested candidates to obtain the necessary work permits from the Government of Canada prior to submitting an application. This position is open exclusively to individuals residing in Canada and legally authorized to work in Canada. Applications not meeting these criteria will not be considered.
We receive a high volume of applications and are only able to contact candidates who are selected for further consideration.
Find out more at www.matchboxhr.com